Safe. Secure. Easy.
This year every voter in New Jersey–including you!–will receive a vote-by-mail ballot to vote safely from home.
Voting by mail is safe, secure, and easy. Many of your neighbors have already voted by mail, so join them by completing and returning your ballot today!
Have a question about your vote-by-mail ballot?
Use this guide, or call or text our vote-by-mail hotline at (908) 899-1281.
How do I complete my ballot?
As soon as your ballot arrives in the mail, you should complete and return it the same day! Your ballot will arrive in an envelope like this, prominently marked with the Official Election Mail insignia.
1. Fully complete your ballot, marking votes for all candidates and ballot questions. Then place your ballot in the small certification envelope.
2. Complete the certification envelope by printing your name and home address, and signing on the dotted line.
- Not fully completing the certification envelope is the number one reason ballots are rejected in NJ!
- Seal the envelope and do not detach the flap of the certification envelope.
3. Place the completed certification envelope into the larger envelope and seal.
How do I return my ballot?
There are several ways to return your completed vote-by-mail ballot:
- Put it in the mail: Postage is pre-paid, so just mail it back. Ballots must be postmarked by November 3rd and received by November 10th.
- Return it to a ballot drop box in your county: Secure drop boxes are available 24 hours a day until 8 PM on November 3rd. Find the nearest drop box in your county using the map below.
- Return it to your county Board of Elections: Ballots can be returned to the Board of Election in each county until 8 PM on November 3rd. You may be required to show photo ID.
- Return it to your polling location: Bring your ballot to your polling location between 6 AM and 8 PM on November 3rd.
Ballot Drop Boxes
Secure ballot drop boxes are available to accept completed ballots 24 hours a day until 8 PM on November 3rd. Find the nearest drop box in your county using the map below.
- When will I receive my ballot?
Ballots will be mailed starting on September 14th and no later than October 5th. If you haven’t received your ballot or think it may been lost, call or text us at (908) 899-1281.
- Do I need a stamp to mail my ballot?
No, postage on your vote-by-mail ballot is prepaid. Just put it in a mailbox!
- I returned my ballot. How do I know that it’s been received and accepted?
You can track your ballot every step of the way using New Jersey’s Voter Registration System. Make an account here and sign in here.
- I always vote in person! Can I go to the polls instead of voting by mail?
Voting by mail is the safest and most secure way to vote. If you’d prefer, you can still vote in-person at a limited number of polling locations on November 3rd, but will be required to complete a paper provisional ballot.
- How do I register to vote?
If you’re not registered to vote at your current address, you can register online here. If you register after September 14 you’ll also have to request a vote-by-mail ballot using this form.